Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Worship

Wow. Time passes so fast. That's all I can say.

It was a good week. Very interesting in forming thoughts about the continuation of youth ministry and the goal setting. After the staff meeting on Tuesday there was able to be some time taken to really answer some questions that had been building in my mind. The questions were not all fully answered but I think I am pointed in the right direction to be able to somehow find a deeper answer to them. This is some of the stuff I am currently chewing on:
  • What does worship look like in a youth setting? How important is it for youth to have a worship element in their meeting times? Should it be weekly?
  • How does a leader encourage attendance at Sunday School and Worship services?
  • How do you provide a worship service that meets the needs of all generations? Is that possible?

I am not sure how to be able to fully answer these questions. I think back on my own personal high school experience and the things that I did as a youth involved in a youth group/youth for Christ. I think that worship is an important element in any person's life and in any ministry form. Worship is an expression of praise and adoration for Jesus. Its when we are able to offer to him our praises as an honoring of who He is and an offering of who we are. It just seems to important to me. I know that worship is not just held in a box of singing but that seems to be such an important way to connect hearts with God.

I want to continue to pursue this subject and find ways in which worship can connect to the hearts of youth and allow them to see how real it can be. As a college student, worship is such a huge thing in my own daily walk with God. Its what has allowed me to know God more, experience his presence, and be able to offer more of myself to Him.

As I seriously do some thinking and try to tie in my own experiences especially from high school I feel like this keeps on resounding back again and again. Worship has to be real. It cannot be faked or given as a show. In order for youth to be able to see this connecting with their own lives they have to be able to see how real it is to the person leading it. Even in moments where I don't feel like I am connecting to God through my own singing there have been times where I have been able to watch the worship leader (depending on the leader) and see the reflection of God through them. That alone has been a encouragement because its so real to them, and that in itself is beautiful.

So that's my post on worship. There is more to come as I continue to read and pray and try to understand the beauty and complexity of worship.

No comments: